How to renew books
A guide to renewing your Library books, including information on how to renew books online.
If another user has placed a hold or recall on your book you cannot renew it. Otherwise:
Standard Loan books can be renewed only 1 times before they need to be brought back to the issuing Library.
Did you know that if a book you require is out to another user, you can request it back from them?
If a book is on loan to another user, you may ask a member of staff, in person at any Library Helpdesk, to place a reservation on the book. Depending on whether the requested book is a Short or a Standard Loan item, these reservations are known as Holds and Recalls.
What is a Hold?
A Hold refers to the type of reservation put on a Short Loan item. It effectively means that an item cannot be renewed by the user who currently has it and must be returned by its original due date. As soon as the book is returned you will be notified by email that it is available for collection.
What is a Recall?
A Recall refers to the type of reservation placed on a Standard Loan item. It activates a new due date for the return of the book, which is 7 days after the recall is placed. The user who has the book will be notified by email that its due date has changed. You will be notified when the item is available for collection.
What do I do if someone puts a Hold or Recall on a book I have borrowed?
Hold and Recalls apply to all Library users. A recall notice may be sent to you if a Standard Loan you have borrowed has been requested by another user. The book must then be returned by the new due date or fines will be incurred. If a Short Loan book you have has been requested by another user you will be unable to renew the item and must return it by its original due date or fines will be incurred
How do I renew my books online?
· To renew your books online you must log into your online Mylibrary record. Your online library record lists the books you have borrowed with their due dates and you can also use it to access your personal library account. (https://psnz.umt.edu.my/home)
· To log into your online library record you must have your library number. This is the number on your Universiti Malaysia Terengganu card that starts for staff with full identification number or passport number. Password is last four digit number identification number or passport number. For students please use your students card number and password also your student card number.
· Once logged into your library record:
- Click the tick box, in the left-hand column, next to the item(s) that you wish to renew.
- Click the Renew Items button at the bottom of your borrowers’ record screen.
- Go back and check each item that you ticked to renew and make sure the due dates have changed, indicating the items have been renewed. The system treats 12.00 a.m. as the beginning of a new day.
*Note the new due dates of the item(s) that have renewed.
Why can’t I renew my books?
· You can not renew an item if it has been requested by another user.
· You can not renew items if you have fines of over RM 10 (students) & RM 50 (for staff) on your library record*
· You can not renew items if you have an overdue recalled item on your library record.
· You can not renew items if they have already been renewed 1 times (standard loans).
* Outstanding Fines and Fees are also shown on your library record.
If you have any problems when trying to renew your items:
Contact the issuing library (09-6684185)
Contact the Helpdesk (09-6684113)